With its sharp crystalline edges and sleek lines knifing up into the sky, this building is one of the most /distinctive/ new additions to the neighborhood. An angular structure in glass and steel, the tall tower has a deceptively slender look to it that is belied by the heavy security as soon as you enter the doors. The front doors are frosted with the Clinic's logo -- a rising sun over a rod of Asclepius -- a motif echoed in many places throughout the building.
Visitors to the clinic must first pass through a small mantrap, guarded by some of the Clinic's security guards; once they make it through the metal detector and airlock's double doors they emerge into the much more hospitable lobby. With dark wood floors underneath and comfortable black and red couches at its edges, the high windows give the room an airy feel. A bank of elevators to one side carry visitors to the many destination floors, while the wide welcome desk at the other side is manned by a security guard ready to help point visitors in the right direction.
Care & Services
- Medical Care
- Primary Care
- Specialty Care, including dietary, PT/OT, O&P, OB/GYN, and a long list of specialists available by appointment or referral.
- Radiological and Nuclear Imaging
- Mental Health Care
- Individual, Couple, and Family Therapy
- Substance Abuse Services
- Support Groups
- Violence Recovery Programs
- Dental Care
- Eye Care
- Complementary Therapies
- Financial Assistance & Health Insurance Enrollment
- Primary Medical Care: Monday-Friday, 8 am - 7 pm, Saturday, 8 am - 1:30 pm
- Mental Health: Monday-Friday, 8 am - 7 pm, Saturday, 8 am - 1:30 pm
- Dental and Eye Care: Monday - Thursday, 8 am - 7 pm, Friday 8 am - 5 pm
- Pharmacy: Monday - Friday, 9 am - 7 pm
- Radiology: Monday - Friday, 9 am - 5 pm
- Complementary Therapy Clinics: Monday - Friday, 8 am - 10am and 4pm - 7pm; Saturday, 9 am - noon
- Financial Assistance, Health Insurance Enrollment, all other administrative offices: Monday - Friday, 8 am - 5 pm
- BL3 - Hazardous Research Labs, Hazardous Patient Rooms (built to exceed BSL-3 standards and contain EM, radiation, explosions.) No visitors on this floor -- Need security/staff clearance.
- BL2 - Radiology & Nuclear Imaging, Server Room, Garage (employee entrance only.) Has PET-CT, MRI, X-Ray. Guard control room on this floor.
- BL1 - Parking Garage. -- Employee entrance only -- Visitors still must enter through the front door.
- FL1 - Lobby. Security entrance. Helpful desk to direct you where to go. Cafeteria. Visitors must all pass through security checkpoint (metal detector, belongings x-ray, mantrap, brief screening by guard.) Not actually a waiting room -- individual department waiting rooms are on each floor, with their respective departments. There is no receptionist here; security staffs the front desk and the on-duty guard can direct visitors to the correct floor.
- FL2 - Primary Care - Waiting Rooms, Exam rooms, doctor's offices. Phlebotomy also on this floor.
- FL3 - Primary Care - Waiting Rooms, Exam rooms, doctor's offices. Iolaus takes patients on this floor.
- FL4 - Pediatric Primary Care & Behavioral Health - Waiting rooms, exam rooms, and doctor's offices. Pharmacy also on this floor.
- FL5 - Dental Care & Eye Care - Waiting rooms, exam rooms, and doctor's offices.
- FL6 - Diagnostic Lab, research labs, staff offices. Authorized and badged visitors only.
- FL7 - Research labs, staff offices. Authorized and badged visitors only.
- FL8 - Staff offices. Authorized and badged visitors only.
- FL9 - Staff offices - Iolaus's main office on this floor. Authorized and badged visitors only.
- FL10 - Conference rooms. Guard breakroom. Staff breakroom.
- FL11 - Storage. Roof exit, Helipad, protective signage.
The Mendel Clinic was quietly organized in early 2013 by its founder, Iolaus Saavedro, a clinical geneticist then at the Mount Sinai Hospital. Clinic applications and fundraising began in secret with a small, core team of staff, until the clinic was outed by an exposé in the Daily Bugle on the 29th of March due to the revelation of its application for a clinic license in the State of New York. The founder was subsequently arrested at the public announcement after the permit for a public speech in Central Park was revoked only minutes before his speech was due to start.ref
The Mendel Clinic opened for general business as of November 2013. The Mendel Clinic redirects all press inquiries to Iolaus Saavedro, its founder, who is not very good at returning calls to reporters.
The following is an incomplete list of some of the current and former staff of the Mendel Clinic. All NPCs are noted with a star after their name, and many are adoptable. Contact Iolaus for more information!
- Dr. Iolaus Saavedro: Staff Physician, Clinical Geneticist, Clinic Founder
- Dr. Rasheed Toure: Neurologist (Contractor)
- Rachel* Nievas: Head Nurse
- Hive: Architect (work completed)
- Jane*: Head of Security
- Alec*: Senior security staff
- Daniel*: Senior security staff
- Jackson Holland: Senior security staff
- Reginald Reg* Blackwell: Senior security staff
- Nightmare*: Junior security staff